Monday, April 2, 2012

Catching up

I know I'd aimed to write more frequently, but again, life has gotten in the way!  Thankfully, it has not impeded too much of my ability to help walk the pups, but a mini vacation and the home sale saga have been a bit of a distraction!

My last post about stereotypes seemed to have resonated.  I cannot reiterate the lack of bad dogs in this world.  I am continuously reminded of this with dogs that come through who have clearly had a rough go of things, and yet have so readily forgiven people, and await their new homes and families.

Some quick catch up on the shelter family.  Jet was adopted...which is AWESOME!  Noel will miss chewing on his collar in their shared time, but it was exciting for him to move on.  Joy has moved to foster, which is awesome for her.  Dozer-returned-to-being-called-Alex is in foster as well, with the intent of the foster "failing" and him being adopted to that family.  

More new faces have trickled in and out, but it seems to be slow right now, which is a problem I'm okay with.  Puppy season is fast approaching, though.

Luna is a sweet big girl who is starting to settle into the routine.  She's strong, and is getting over her nervousness about everything.  She wasn't overly nervous, but over the last couple of weeks, seeing her changes, well, I understand she wasn't quite feeling herself on the rainy day that she and I walked together.


Kate has been getting a lot of practice on her gentle leader, and is doing quite well.  She's a completely different dog to walk when she's on it, and self-corrects brilliantly.

Wyatt is a big beautiful dog that some of the volunteers call "Brown Bob", since he is guessed to be a similar mix as Bob.  I think he might have a little bit of Chesapeake Bay Retriever in him, but he's so very friendly that if it's there, it's definitely not more dominant in his personality.  Wyatt is a goof.  He loves to play for play's sake, and just really seems to be a happy dog.  He was not, however, interested in posing for the camera!



My heart skipped a few beats this past Saturday, because there is a rare sight in the shelter here...Auzzie is an Australian Cattle Dog, and is clearly confused about what's going on right now.  He's a snausage for sure (what we've always called the breed, for their roundness when given more love than work), and is stressed out about two things.  One, he's got no job at the shelter.  Two, he clearly came from a family, and is trying to figure out what happened to them and him.  When he and I spent time together, he was quick to come get treats, say hi, and sit very quickly on my lap, but then would turn, and spring out, as if to say "this isn't quite right...".  Knowing these dogs helps me to understand Auzzie a bit; most ACDs are very loyal to one family, and can be pretty stand-offish with others.  Auzzie seems to be trying to figure out who his family is at the shelter.  I hope he goes home soon, because he doesn't get free range to go nuts in the interaction areas....Auzzie has proven himself a talented fence climber.
  
I finally walked Penelope after having been walking dogs at the shelter for three months...somehow, she and I had never had time together.  She is rambunctious, for sure, but also very, very sweet and eager to please.  She's one of those who's been in for a while.

Today, I spent some time with Carley.  She is a big Boxer mix, and really lives the meaning of the word "fun".  On the leash, she is rather well-behaved.  She didn't pull much at all, but as soon as the leash was off in Mark's Park, she bounded end to end for ten minutes straight.  I can't call it running; she was airborne most of the time and powered herself up as much as forward.  She is very loving as well...many of her characteristics remind me of my oldest sister's Boxer, Brock. I did have to laugh at one thought that crossed my mind, though.  Between Polly's overbite and Carley's underbite, I think we've got a two regular mouths!


I spent a bit of time with Noel today for the first time in over a month (other than the quick 'hi' I try to give her frequently).  Poor girl is positive for mange....again.  However, what struck me more was how much she has grown and filled out since I first saw her in January.  She's on a harness now, and is settling much more quickly on her walks and playtimes.  I hope she finds a home soon; she is so eager to please and will smother you with love, even if you don't smell like treats!


Finally, today was a reminder of that willingness to love.  Cedar is a young pup, only about four and a half months.  He's had all of his shots, though, so he's allowed to go for walks.  Cedar will be enormous; his paws are almost as big as Murphy's!  However, he's clearly had a rough time; his coat is patchy (I believe they said he's recovering from mange), and he is so very skinny.  He is, however, very eager to climb up into laps and snuggle.  I hope he does not have to stay long at the shelter.  Cedar has great manners, too...he knows sit and down, and will wait at the door in a sit.

   
Then the big one...whoever had 10 weeks as the call for my begging, you win.  Raeanne came home with us for good on her one year anniversary in the shelter, March 19.  She has been an amazing addition to our pack.  Edward, my 11 year-old dog, has been wrestling with her like he's a puppy again.  Carlie, our socially-awkward dog, has even been playing.  That has much to do with Raeanne's amazing dog-reading skills.  She recognizes that Carlie is a different style of play, and adjusts accordingly.  She is giving the cats plenty of room (partially because I'm not sure she knows what to do with them).  And she absolutely loves to snuggle.  It's only been two weeks, and she is settling in so wonderfully.  She is going to make a great running partner as well.  This was a good discovery to make, but on the flipside of a sadder one; Edward is pretty much tapped out after two miles now, and with my training runs getting longer, he's had to stay home.  Raeanne did seven miles with me on Sunday (we've been doing shorter during the week to build up, and she did six the weekend before).  I swear, she was ready to do it again after a quick nap!


I am lucky to have such a great pack, of all shapes, sizes and species.  As usual, I encourage everyone to find their own.  Maybe it's your first animal, maybe it's your fifth...but I have found the best of surprises from the third dog that I swore I wouldn't end up with.


Looking for a fur-ever friend?  One of these pups could be it...

Luna
Kate
Wyatt
Auzzie
Carley
Polly
Noel
Cedar

No comments:

Post a Comment