Monday, February 6, 2012

A wiggly distraction

Last week was an interesting one...I was only able to walk on Monday morning and Sunday morning, due to being out of town.  It was interesting how much I missed it, and even more interesting how much I felt I missed as I took stock of the pups at the shelter on Sunday morning.  There were plenty of familiar faces, and plenty of new ones, and pleasantly some absent faces.

The bummer first: Star is back.  Turns out his family had to move unexpectedly, and could not find an apartment that would welcome a large boy with some pit in him.  However, I don't think he will be there for long.  He is such a well-behaved, sweet boy, that it should not take long to get him out.

On the note of absences...I helped Alex find a home!!  A friend's son and his family (which includes a wife, 2 year-old son, baby on the way, and a lab/pit mix) have been talking about getting a new furry friend.  I had thought they would be great for Angus, but obviously, there were other plans for him.  So yesterday, I met the family at EHS, and showed them around.  It was awesome to be able to tell them so much about the dogs that they were interested in (and that I thought they should be interested in).  When they saw Alex, I was pretty confident that was it.  Sure enough, Alex's playful personality, combined with his utter lack of a dominant bone in his body, had Alex and Bones playing together like old friends.  Alex went to his Furever Home yesterday, and I needed the joy that brought.

I have a friend who is in the hospital right now that is very ill.  Yesterday's moment of wiggly zen between Alex and his new family was exactly the kind of medicine my heart needed to rejuvenate meIt was also a splendid reminder of all the good that our furry friends can do, whether they intend to or not.  After Alex's joyful exit, the love and kisses my pups showered me with at home were icing on the cake.  My older dog never sleeps on the bed, and yet somehow, last night, he seemed to know that his presence would calm me.  Edward jumped up right in between our pillows, let out a deep doggy sigh, and exuded everything that I was in need of.  Somehow, worry can get put to the back of one's mind when your dog "smells like sleep".

It is moments like this of my own that make me want so desperately for the pups I love at EHS to be given the chance to be that for someone else.  I look at Joy, with so much love to share, and my heart melts.  If you need to see what I'm talking about...Joy's got a video on YouTube now.  While the music makes me giggle, so does the sweet girl who needs a home of her own that has sat in the shelter for almost a year.

Jumping back to Sunday morning, it was short morning for me, given that Ty's grandparents were in town, and family breakfast was set for 9.  I got to meet an amazing girl though.  Madeline may be related to Angus somehow, if only in her enthusiasm for ball-chasing and kisses.  We had a great walk and some good snuggles, but Madeline's personality exploded out of her as soon as we hit Mark's Park and she saw the tennis balls.


I was bummed to discover later that she is listed as a no-kids dog due to shyness.  Apparently, my sister was right about my whole "Pied Piper" thing, because all of the dogs that I have been told are shy are anything but with me.  No-kids-dog aside, Madeline is a sweet girl that is eager to please.

This morning, it was sweet relief to have routine.  My mind was not free to worry, and instead was focused on the furry friends around me...and the "I'm on hold!" sign on Murphy's kennel!!!  At this point, his info isn't on the site anymore, so fingers crossed that the big old Murphulmutt has gone to his Fur-Ever home.  Alex and Murphy in under 48 hours would be even more of that positivity that I am craving.

This morning's walk was dedicated to Noel.  Yes, goofy little Noel, who leaps and bounds and tries so hard to do exactly what you want as soon as you go to the treat bag, but also makes efforts to just get the treat bag for herself...

 
That cleverness is what made getting a great picture so challenging...any time I took out a treat, her smile would go away as she stared intently at my hand.  And anytime I gave her the treat and then tried to snap a picture as she began smiling again...well...I'd end up having to push her away from my treat bag, where she got nose-deep more than a couple times today!

Noel is silly; that is the only word to describe her.  She is young, and has so much of that "puppiness".  In Mark's Park, I watched her throw a toy for herself for fifteen minutes.  A tube sock stuffed with towels was no match for her...she could easily throw it with her mouth about 8-10 feet.  Hilarious to watch, for sure.  Also a wonderful reminder...simple joys and pleasures do not need to be dependent on anyone else.  There is something to be said for someone who will "throw you the ball", but there is something more to be said for being able to "throw it yourself", as Noel did today.

I am excited for what this week brings.  There are a lot of new faces, and I am eager to get to know more of them.  I also need to figure out more friends to bring by and get dogs.

My furry friends that would love to love are on the Escondido Humane website.

Joy
Star
Noel


 

No comments:

Post a Comment