Monday, January 30, 2012

Learning to love goodbyes

I'll start on a really high note: Angus found his forever home!!! (So did a few others...but his is so very exciting to me...more on that to come)

Last week was a crazy week.  I didn't end up getting in to walk dogs on Wednesday, as per the norm, because Ty got in a [thankfully] minor crash on his motorcycle that morning, and it kind of put the day into a totally different schedule.  I am very grateful for the fact that he wears the appropriate safety gear, and would remind any other motorcyclists to ALWAYS do the same...he went down less than a mile from our house.


Anyway...off that soapbox.


Friday was a great day though.  I spent some time with Noel.  Remember the cute little face, oh so sad, that greeted me on orientation day?  Well, she's still there, and still as cute as ever.


She was very focused on the treat in my hand, and I was very pleased that her paws were all down, so I wasn't able to capture the grin that she has developed in the last few weeks.  


I also spent some extra time with Zander.  He's having some struggles out at the Okay Corral...he is a barker, and they try really hard to minimize that out there.  Get one going, and let it go, and before you know it...well, 10 dogs barking at the same time is just the beginning.  As soon as he's out of that kennel though, Zander is just a big old mushball...he's not nearly as interested in walking as he is laying on your lap and being fed treats...so we try to get a little bit of both of those things done.




Saturday brought some good updates...Merlin the boxer found a forever home!  A number of the little guys have as well...January's adoption numbers are quite high, thanks in part to the special that EHS has on adult animals.


I got to meet another great lab mix, Hunter.  I thought I was in for a challenge when I first took him out, as he almost pulled away from me...however, there was actually a reason!  Hunter is housebroken, and as such, reallllllllly needed to go to the bathroom.  As soon as he had taken care of his business, he trotted along, right at my hip.  He is a big boy, or rather, will be, as he could use to gain a few pounds.


 He is very sweet, and one of those awesome dogs that will do just about anything for a treat.


The highlight of Saturday, though, was the hour-plus that I spent with Angus.  He was having a tough day...he's had a few of those lately.  There are more noisy dogs out at the Okay Corral than what I've seen in my few weeks, and Angus seems to be stressed out by that.  Angus stressed equals Angus drooling...and he looked like Hooch from Turner and Hooch when I got to him.  I took him out for some ball time, and some love time.  When we got to Mark's Park, the Jolly Balls were out (Jolly Balls are huge...they're usually used as a horse toy).  I've not seen Angus with these before, and it was HILARIOUS.  Both of the balls had holes in them, so he could get a good grip on them.  I would kick one across the pen, he'd barrel over to get it, and run right over it in his eagerness to play.  Then, he'd pick it up, and shake it like crazy.  The best part, though, was when he stuck his head in one...not his muzzle, not his top jaw, his WHOLE head...and then proceeded to run around like a big dork...straight into me.  We played like this for about a half an hour, then Angus was actually played out...he stopped bringing the ball back and instead just laid on it.  So, we vacated the park for another dog, and went for some cuddling time.  Angus laid right in my lap, and we sat that way, relaxing together, for another half and hour or so.




I also took him to Good Citizen class on Saturday, which was awesome to see.  It is so cool that so many people are willing to work with dogs over and over to help them learn their manners.  It was also really great to see certain dogs interacting/ignoring each other.


I snuck in an extra day this week...Sunday was a community outreach at PetSmart in Escondido.  I took Angus.  He spent 3 hours lounging in my lap.  Mike, another volunteer, had Murphy.  Murphy was picture perfect, and anyone who came to say hi, well, he offered a paw for a shake.  I hope it will lead to him finding a forever home soon.  Noel was there as well, and she was trying her darndest to get everyone's treats.  The coolest thing to see, though, was Joy.  Out of the shelter, she was a completely different dog.  No pulling, no planting her paws, no barking...just a big, cuddly lap pit bull.  I'm not sure we'll get any adoptions from that event, but it was great visibility for the shelter.


As I brought Angus back to the shelter, a family was coming out of the dog area.  They were asking a few questions about a dog, and I leaned in: "If you guys want to meet an amazing dog, the big boy I just put back is it."  They would have never met him; they had already picked a few to interact with and were headed back to the lobby.  However, they walked around to Angus' kennel, and I gave them as much information as I could.  It felt great, and I could tell that they appreciated how much I had to give on him.  They had their three year-old and chihuahua with them for interaction, and went to go "try out" Angus first.  I left before they got out there, but later last night, I jumped on the EHS website, and Angus was gone!  I confirmed this morning...a forever home for my big old BlackAngusSteak dog.  It was an awesome kind of sad to feel...I knew I wouldn't likely see him again, but I knew he was with a home that he would love.


Today, Lena was gone also...YAY!  We're hoping this one stays...she's been returned once.  I played with Polly today for a while...she is such a goofy-looking dog, but is so amazingly sweet.  She launches herself around Mark's Park.  She'll run from one end to the other, then jump up onto whatever stand is nearest to you so that she can give a slobbery kiss, get a treat and some rubs, then takes off again.






I had to put both pictures in; the first you can see what I was talking about with her eyes and underbite, but the second shows you her adorable smile...she is just such a happy dog.  I hope that someone will look beyond her initial oddness to take her home soon; over one hundred days is a long time for such a loving dog to be in the shelter.

I also got to play with Alex today.  He is the cute pup I met at training that literally bounds his way around...I don't know that his front legs actually bend (they do, he just doesn't feel the need to; he PRANCES!).  Alex and I had a great walk, then cuddle time, then some Mark's Park craziness.  This big little guy needs a home soon; he is so very stressed by going back in that he drops to his belly and slides along...he doesn't fully plant, because he can tell that you want him to go, and he is SO eager to please, but it takes some work to get him to his kennel.  I hope that the friend I'm sending this week will be a good match...I'll update you all on that as soon as I know!





I am out of town this week, and as such, do not get as much time with the pups.  Saturday will be my next walking day, and I hope to find some more relieved "sadness" in the absence of dogs who have found forever homes.

For your viewing pleasure:

Noel
Zander
Hunter
Polly
Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment