Wednesday, January 18, 2012

More empty kennels, please!

I had to update today...it was definitely a good day!  When I arrived, Heather, the lead, was coming out of the shelter with a huge smile on her face.  "Six empty kennels!!!" she exuberantly shouted to me.  

Mary Ellen came over and gave me a big smile as well...she explained that they will head into a slower period for the next 6-8 weeks, and then the kittens and puppies show up.  But between Monday and today, there were a number of adoptions.  One of the great ones to report: Michelle found a forever home!  I knew it wouldn't take too long; she was such a cute little girl.  But as scared and in need of love as she was, I am so glad that she was not there today.  (Betty, Beatrice, and Star have all been adopted as well)

But, there were also some new faces today.  One of them was Lena, and that was who I spent time with today.  Lena is a big, fluffy mix of who knows what.  My theory is she's an Australian/German Shepherd mix.  Lena was very nervous; today was her first day moved over to adoptions from the Animal Control facility.  I volunteered to take her out on a walk to see what we could learn about her.  She has a green dot for "easy" status, but was pulling quite a bit.  I decided to take her over to Mark's Park for some off-leash time, because it seemed like she wanted to run.

I was wrong.  As soon as she was off-leash, Lena bounded a few steps away, then nervously came back to me.  This continued for a few minutes, even as I walked around the space.  At most, she got about 20 feet away, then came sprinting back and nuzzling my leg.  Her tail was never tucked, so she didn't seem frightened, she just really wanted some people time.


So that's what we did.  We walked a little bit, and after those few minutes in Mark's Park, Lena was right by my side...almost no pulling.  We went to the picnic tables in the clearing, and that's where I discovered that upon scratching, Lena's butt will walk itself.  Let me explain...."booty scritches", as we call them at home, are small, medium-pressure scratchy-rubs right above the tail.  My dogs love them...I think it mimics a flea bite in some ways, because Edward often flea bites my arm when I give them to him.  So I try them out on a lot of dogs; most love it.  Lena was one that "love" does not cover.  When I began scritching, her hind legs and rear end started making their way closer to me, even though her front half wasn't really moving.  It was hilarious.  And when I stopped, Lena dropped to her back and smiled, hoping for some belly rubs.  I delivered, of course.  So we continued in this pattern for about five minutes.  It was tremendously fun for both of us, I must say.

It was this interaction that makes me believe she's got some Aussie in her.  She is so people oriented, but not towards quite everyone yet.  You can tell she's an Aussie trying to find her family, and as loyal and loving as that breed can be, she seems confused without it.  I hope that Lena will find a home quickly, because she strikes me as a fish out of water without one.  As a side note, I used to think that no dog could have a fluffier tail than Edward, until we got Carlie.  Then I thought, no fluffier tail than Carlie's.  I have been proven wrong once again:


That thing is amazing!

I also got to spend some more time with Joy today.  She's such a lover, and all of the volunteers know it.  She also works all of us...she will offer her belly for rubs to anyone and everyone that will look her way...and we all stop to give them if our hands are free.  I truly hope that she can find a pit-friendly home that will give her the love and devotion that she deserves.

Lena can be found on the EHS website here.

Joy is still up there, found here.

As a reminder, EHS has a special through January on adult animals: $25 adoption fee. 

No comments:

Post a Comment