Friday, January 13, 2012

Make your own luck

You know it will be a good day, despite superstitions, when the sky is clear, the sun is just peeking up, and the thermometer reads in the mid-50s.  Friday the 13th has never really been anything but another day to me, other than the rare occasion that my little sister's birthday falls on it (September 13th baby).

I digress.

I'm getting into the routine.  Wednesday I went in for my first "solo" day; I was one of the first there, and Buzzy, the lead for the day, put me straight to work.  I am a creature of habit with certain things, and the fact that the process is the same every morning will help me with learning it faster.  First, dogs out to the Okay Corral.  Then, walks, socialization, and play time.  Because I am only in for about 90 minutes on MWF, I spend the first hour or so getting dogs out, then have been able to do 30 minutes of quality time with one dog.

Wednesday it was Star.  Star is a pittie mix (no surprise; most of the big dogs at EHS are) but to me looks like he has some boxer in him.  He has the most beautiful brindle coat, and amazing leash manners.  I sent a picture of him to my sister, who has a brindle boxer, and asked if she knew that her dog had a half-brother in Escondido.  


Star has been doing the weekly Canine Good Citizen class, and you can tell.  He sits, tries to shake, and even knows "wait" when being offered a treat.  We spent some time after our walk just sitting.  There is a field that has some picnic tables in it, and many volunteers like to go out there and let their pup just get love.  Star was a big fan of that...he stood his front paws on the bench so that he could be closer to me, and let me tell you, the under the collar scratches had this big boy almost falling over with happiness.  Wednesday was a good day.


Today was also a good day.  I'm getting to know some of the dogs already.  Today was also one of my first challenges with a dog...Michelle is a young mix breed; it's hard to tell exactly what she is.  I'm sure there's pit in there, but probably some sort of shepherd as well, and maybe even some beagle.  Anyway, Michelle is a young girl, and is post-op, so she still has stitches from her alteration.  As I brought her out of her kennel, she was ecstatic.  She was so happy to walk...at first.  As soon as we turned towards the Okay Corral, she sat down, and would not move.  I tried coaxing with treats, I tried petting and getting the stupidly high-pitch excited voice.  No luck.  One of the things we have been taught is that it's really important to let the dog get itself where you're going, and not to drag it.  I tried tricking her with a small circle away from the corral, and then a bigger one towards it, but every time we turned towards the corral, paws dug in and butt hit ground.  At one point, she even flopped on her back and just laid there, submissively begging me not to take her.  Unfortunately, that's not an option, but fortunately, Michelle is a younger dog, so I was able to pick her up gently, and carry her to the corral.  From there, I spent about 5 minutes coaxing her into her crate.  Again, really important to let them put themselves away.

That was a little disheartening to see her so resistant to getting put away, and to see how immediate the transformation from excited little puppy had been.

Fortunately, Mary Ellen, the lead, knows the right reaction to cheer up a volunteer, and I was walking Angus to Mark's Park, the big dog interaction area.  This is a big enclosed area where the dogs can be let off leash.  There are some agility obstacles in there if one is so inclined, but for Angus, more importantly, there were tennis balls.  A lot of them.


Angus is enormous.  There is no other word for it.  But, he is also very excited about playing ball.  When I was in college, our neighbor had a border collie who would chase a soccer ball until her paws would bleed, if you'd let her.  As I threw tennis ball after tennis ball for Angus, I was reminded of that pup...he was so unbelievably joyful.  I moved throughout the area, picking up balls and throwing them every different direction for him.  As gigantic as Angus is, he is just as eager to please, for every time he got to me, the ball was dropped perfectly at my feet, and he would wait anxiously for me to throw another.  


After some quality ball chasing, Angus and I sat and enjoyed the sun together.  As I was petting him, I realized the full size of this dog...I had both of my hands on his head, touching, and they barely covered the width of his head!!  And yet, here he was, one paw on my lap, leaning in for more and more love.  It was a different experience from just walking, and the feeling I got for having given him this break was wonderful.  So was the walk back to the corral; Angus was contented, and stayed right by my side, not a single pull.  Angus only needed that ball, and he couldn't have been happier.


I am excited for my first Canine Good Citizen class tomorrow morning.  Thus far, this experience has been so incredibly worth it, and I am eager for the lessons I will continue to take from each dog I get to know.  Angus reminded me about the simple pleasures today, and I aim to bring his exuberance to the things I do as well.


Star's information is not on the EHS page right now...he is already on hold for pickup!  Angus' is however, right here.  Michelle's is as well...the sooner she can get out, the better for that girl.  Find her here.


As a final note, Tyler claims I have put in my first request to bring a dog him by sending him Padre's information...what can I say?  Rascal and Edward have given me a soft spot for Queensland/Aussie types :)  Padre won't be at the shelter long, but if you want to have a daily "SQUEEEEEEEEE" you can check out this baby here.

No comments:

Post a Comment