Saturday, January 7, 2012

Day one...and it begins.

Today was my orientation for volunteering at the Escondido Humane Society.  I jokingly posted to my FB last night for bets on how long it would take me to start begging to bring home another pup.

No surprise...everyone said it would happen today.

So, I am pleased to quell the naysayers, and report that I have not started begging...yet.  I did only see about 20 dogs today though...

I'm going to be sharing my experiences as I go throughout this minimum six month commitment.  I want to share this with as many people as I can, because local animal shelters can always use more dedicated volunteers.  I had my qualms...anyone who knows me will attest to the fact that I am passionate about my four-legged friends, probably more so than I am about most of my two-legged ones.  I am also stupidly affected by the helplessness I feel when I think about the sheer quantity of dogs and cats that I cannot help, despite my best intentions.  Ty will tell you...there have been more than one evening where I have been in tears as the vastness of the problem overcomes me.  And don't get me started on the Sarah McLachlan commercials...

I give you this background for a specific reason.  I am terrified of what the next six months will do to me emotionally.  But, I have decided that it is more important for me to take a chance that what I gain from this experience will be greater than the pain that it causes.  I want to bring you along on this journey with me, because I want you to understand that if I, a bleeding-heart animal lover, can do this, so can you.

So, orientation.  Simple, crowded, and pretty easy to handle.  The volunteer coordinator that led my orientation did not mince words about the fact that some days would be really hard.  But she also reminded us that our hours, our energy, and our love would help these dogs shine, and be more likely to find forever homes.  That's what I'm going to have to focus on...every time I'm there.  Because as soon as we went to learn the procedure for getting a dog out of the kennel for a walk, I was greeted by Noel:


She is adorable, she was fairly mellow (all things considered), and she wanted nothing more than to lick you to death.  I have a soft spot for pitties, having experienced the love that they can offer.  So it was quite the challenge to see her smile upon our group's arrival, and her dejected sulk when we walked away without her.

I steeled myself for the fact that I would have to learn to celebrate the times when I do get to take pups like Noel away from the kennel for a bit, and resolved to get myself back to running shape even quicker, because many of the dogs at EHS look like they would love to race up the hill next to the shelter with me.

I aim to update weekly.  I am excited for my first day of actual dog-walking, and cannot wait to report back.  Please feel free to share this link with anyone you know that may have a desire to help.  For me, time was more abundant than money, so this was my way of getting involved.  For you, though, it may be something else, and I would encourage you to call your LOCAL* shelter to see what you can do.

Noel is up for adoption at the Escondido Humane Society, by the way...and I'd encourage anyone with some love to give to go check her out here.



*I cannot stress enough how important it is to give locally.  While national organizations can help bring awareness to the need, it is the local shelters that benefit the most from your time and money.

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. I feel the same about animals/shelters/etc. -- to a fault, sometimes, like you said, favoring our four-legged friends over two-legged, ha! But it's a great thing you're doing, and I'm sure the experience will outweigh the pain. I went to a pound for the first time last week, and was sobbing within 5 minutes. Totally overwhelmed; I hadn't expected that. I thought about volunteering but I don't think I have the same steely resolve as you -- I think it would turn me into a horribly cynical, pessimistic, depressed soul! Looking forward to hearing about your experience though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will change you emotionally. Be prepared, but don't fear it. Keep in mind, you can't save them all, it's just not possible. But the ones you connect with, you will put them in the best possible homes. You will begin to see things in people you don't just yet. I'm rambling, (and tired), but I wish you the best. I'm in LA, we will probably cross paths! If you ever have any questions, or want to vent or just talk, I'm here.

    PS- Brush up on positive dog training skills. Having a dog trained to do basic commands ups their adoption potential by 100%.

    ReplyDelete